Monday, September 15, 2008

Letter to the editor

Sarah Palin has seemed to be a quite the topic of conversation these past few weeks. I can’t decide if I am for her or against her. The interview she did with Charles Gibson was intense and I think it helped the people of the United States get to know her. Michael Luo wrote an article over the interview and talked a lot about her working mom status and how it is “irrelevant” hence the title of the article “Working mother questions ‘irrelevant,’ Palin says”. I can see, how like me, Lou isn’t really criticizing or siding with Palin. This seems to make his article just factual and based off the interview he’s writing about. I like his article but it doesn’t really help me decide if or to if not to like Palin.
Its interesting to me how Lou seems to put great emphasis on the fact that Palin says and believes that being a working mother is ‘accepted’ and ‘irrelevant’ to life this time period. I do agree with his stress on this topic. It’s a very talked about subject and has two very different sides. I personally was raised by a stay-at-home mom, but I completely understand the women who need to work to raise their family. I sense that Lou feels the same way. In this day and age having to be a working mother is often an inevitable situation. The article seems to give the impression that Lou is showing and thinking how a lot of different types of women could relate to Palin and agree with her and vice versa.
It is very out of the ordinary, in my opinion, the topics that Lou choices to disscuss about Palin, out of Charles Gibsons interview. I don’t think he does the best job of picking important or relevant topics. His comments on how Palin believe that Clinton would have been a good running mate for Obama and that he made a bad decision means nothing to me, and I doubt others think much different. Palin is a new candidate and we need to learn as much about her as fast as we can to help make the best decision in forty-nine days. Topics that have nothing to do with issues of this election are completely unnecessary at this time.
Michael Lou has outlined the interview with Palin and Charles Gibson quite well. Although with his indecisiveness on Palin’s life and views his article seems to have no real influence on the readers. His piece of writing seems to jump from subject to subject with no facts or opinions. I wanted to try and learn about Palin, her family life, and job life. The title of this article made it seem like that’s what this commentary was going to be about. Of course, the first couple of paragraphs were related to that topic but then by the end of the piece it was saying nothing connected to her family.







Authors Note:
1. First Draft
2. I like it because I think it shows how I feel. I am worried though about if it is on the write track, if I made my point clear or was I swaying?, I wasn’t sure exactly how to wright this letter due to the authors indecisiveness I am not sure its strong enough.
3. I would really like for you to help me with grammar issues as that is a one of my weaknesses but for this specific letter to the editor I would really like you tell me if it strong enough and kept on the right track. I am not completely confident about it and would like some positive comments as well.
Thank you!

No comments: